April 12, 2007
Despite having “a new found faith in Christianity” (generally the kiss of death to any kind of creativity), Peter Howson, “Scotland’s greatest living painter” ™ has now managed to produce a triumvirate of highly pleasing paintings of my favourite celebrity idiot and orphan botherer, the graceless Madonna. As can be seen from the extract above, also featuring her equally boorish husband (referred to here by Howson as ‘Ogre’), he has succinctly and expertly captured the repulsive allure of the “golden couple”.
- “Madonna has bad brush with artist” (timesonline.co.uk)
- Peter Howson Official Website (peterhowson.net)
- “Howson slams ‘conveyor belt’ artists” (scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com)
- Flowers East Gallery, London (flowerseast.com)
Features images of all paintings in the collection “Acheron and other works”.
Historical note: “Scotland’s greatest living painter” was actually born in England.
February 19, 2007
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something.
Nowadays everybody’s crazy.”
Image source: Nick Bougas (unpopart.org)
- No, please, no more.
January 20, 2007
“Did you know there’s a girls’ school with 400 girls just round the corner? Very nice, I’ll tell you, it really is lovely. I mean they’re so beautiful those little girls are. My conscience won’t let me tamper – feel I might damage their lives if I do anything.”
A short, but unusual, 1974 interview with Brian Eno. Conducted by then journalist Chrissie Hynde.
- Everything you’d rather not have known about Brian Eno (hyperreal.org)
- EnoWeb (hyperreal.org)
- Brian Eno at Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Brian Eno Official Store (enoshop.co.uk)
- Brian Eno official site (brianeno.com)
“Experiment appearing shortly”
December 21, 2006
“Gene Tierney” by George Hurrell (1944)
- The Hollywood Photography of George Hurrell (hurrellphotography.com)
- George Hurrell Photos and Prints (hurrellphotos.com)
Buy prints of Hurrell photographs, including recent prints made under Hurrel’s supervision.
- Hurrel: The Estate of George Hurrell (hurrellestate.com)
- George Hurrell Obituary (nytimes.com)
- Hurrell related books at Amazon (amazon.com)
- Gene Tierney (geocities.com)
“Unquestionably the most beautiful woman in movie history”.
- Gene Tierney filmography (imdb.com)
- Self Portrait: Gene Tierney’s autobiography (amazon.com)
- Gene Tierney in the news (time.com)
A small but fascinating collection of contemporary news articles about or related to Gene Tierney at the height of her celebrity.
December 20, 2006
I have absolutely no idea who or what a “Lindsay Lohan” is (and no interest in finding out) but this recent quote from her brought a ray of sunshine into my life:
“So . . . 3 hours of pole dancing and bruised. everywhere . . . I mean we’re talkin’ like, UPPER AND INNER THIGH ACTION-bruised . . . like a walking black-and-blue mark.
“I mean really though, really, I didn’t know it was actually possible to have bruises in such areas of the body. Strippers dude, I tell you, I really respect the cunts now“.
- “Pole pulverises Lohan thighs” (nypost.com)
August 27, 2006
Norma Shearer by Ruth Harriet Louise (1928)
“I speak of Ruth Harriet Louise who has made…MGM beauties even more beautiful.”
Louella Parsons, 1929
- Ruth Harriet Louise and Hollywood Glamour Photography (amazon.com)
- Ruth Harriet Louise and Hollywood Glamour Photography eBook (ebooks.com)
- Norma Shearer / Ruth Harriet Louise Gallery (divasthesite.com)
- Norma Shearer filmography (imdb.com)
August 21, 2006
From the Sunday Times, 20th August, 2006:
Madonna has said: “According to science we aren’t going to have a planet in about 50 years at the rate we’re going with nuclear waste.
“I can write the greatest songs and make the most fabulous films and be a fashion icon and conquer the world, but if there isn’t a world to conquer, what’s the point?”
That statement is wrong on so many levels it’s hard to know where to begin!
If you’ve been struggling with the problem of what to do with nuclear waste, Madonna might just have the answer you’re looking for (adherance to the laws of physics optional, chanting of “Chernobyl” probably not).