100 photographs you didn’t know were great #9: Shock
September 27, 2006
“Shock” (from the “End Times” series) by Jill Greenberg
- Jill Greenberg: The Manipulator (manipulator.com)
- On the topic “End Times” (paulkopeikingallery.com)
“The ‘trick’ is suddenly too good: Mrs. Greenberg’s talent with her medium may have finally crossed the line of what we know and what we believe.”
- Cry Babies (popphoto.com)
“Jill Greenberg answers the critics who claim she abuses toddlers in the name of art.”
- Podcast interview with Jill Greenberg (popphoto.com)
- Jill Greenberg interview (lifelounge.com)
- Jill Greenberg is a Sick Woman Who Should Be Arrested and Charged With Child Abuse (thomashawk.com)
Everyman has his say.
- The Case Against Jill Greenberg’s “End Times” (thinkingpictures.blogspot.com)
Finally, a detailed and coherent argument! Misses the point completely, of course, but at least he tried.
“Could it be that Jill’s subject is “taboo” – or, to use a less scintillating term, “disgusting” – because we are aware of the real suffering children around the world experience, and to have it recreated snow-globe style reflects poor aesthetic and moral taste?”